Wednesday 18 May 2016

Wendy's Week - Yarn & UFO's

Hello you lovely lot, I hope you are having an amazing week!
This is what I've been keeping out of trouble with...

~ Yarn & UFO's ~
- 9th - 15th May -
Reading A Woman in Berlin // Yummy yarny goodness // Beau checking his garden for intruders //
A gift of pretty flowers // Lots of new knitting patterns // Last Knitting UFO completed

- Finished a reading book! It may have taken me a few months, but I have finally finished reading 'A Woman in Berlin'. I am so glad to have finished it, as it was a fascinating but utterly traumatic read. How these women were able to cope with essentially being the spoils of war astounds me. I read slowly, so it's not the books fault it took me this long. Perhaps it was the time I took to read or just the amount of horrendous events, but the month or so time frame that the book covers felt more like years rather than weeks. If you are interested in WWII history then I would say it is a must read!

- Finished my very last knitting UFO! My Sunday Pictorial Beret is complete, it only needed
re-sewing together and for me to weave away the loose ends, so the length of time it has taken me to finish this is shocking. But it is now done and photographed, so there will be more about it in my next post!

Drops Delight Yarn: 06 Pink/Purple, 09 Turquoise/Purple & 15 turquoise/burgundy/beige

- Bought some very yummy sock yarn! With my last UFO now finally a FO (finished object) it was time to start something new, without any guilt! I have been wanting to have a go at socks for years but couldn't quite muster the enthusiasm to actually start anything. Well, that all changed this week when I found this gorgeous Drops Delight yarn on Love Knitting's website. The fact that it was on sale was even more tempting so along with some yarn for my Home Fire's Fair Isle (I am still working on it, it's just taking me longer than I thought to work out re-sizing...the blighter!) I bought a few balls and can honestly say the pictures on the site don't quite do it justice, it's much more delightful in the fluff! I am really looking forward to begin knitting with it, I am thinking of trying Hermione's Every Day Sock Pattern by Erica Lueder, which is free on Ravelry, as it looks easy enough for a beginners pattern, has a little detail to make it interesting to knit and is still simple enough to show off the pretty yarn. Oh, and add in the fact I love Harry Potter and well, my decision is pretty much made!

- Operation Victory Garden is back on track! I spent the weekend weeding and digging on my allotment to get everything back on track for planting up my onions and potatoes this coming weekend. I have decided to keep it a little more simple this year, so have held back on the seed planting as I don't want to overwhelm myself as I have in other years. Also, I finally planted up some runner beans and once I find where I put my seeds, I'll also pop in some marrows too, slowly but surely I am making progress!



- I was gifted some wonderful vintage knitting patterns to share with you all! last week I got an email out of the blue from the lovely Suzanne, who runs the fabulous vintage clothing store Authentic Glam on eBay. She wanted to know if I would like to rehome some vintage knitting patterns for her, as she feared the charity shop may not give them the respect they deserve and of course I said: Yes please! The patterns arrived this week and blimey they are fabulous, there are loads of them, the above is just the very tip, of the tip of the Iceberg! As a thank you to Suzanne, I'll be gradually turning them into pdf's and sharing them over on The Vintage Pattern Files over the next few months (actually, it might be years there is that many) so that you all can share in her utter generosity too!

~ Me-Made May 2016 Week 2 ~

OK, on to this weeks Me-Made May 2016! Week Two I managed to wear only two garments. On Sunday I wore my still not blogged about 1950s Simplicity 1166 skirt, which I panic stitched before my holiday about this time last year; and on Friday for a lovely sunny pub lunch with my mate Alan, I wore my Anderson Blouse (though I forgot to get a photo). My Anderson blouse is fast becoming my favourite thing to wear! I'm not quite hitting my three garment quota this week, but I am not disappointed, as I am still enjoying the challenge. I am also rapidly realising I don't have as much practical clothing as I'd thought so that's something to remedy with any future projects!

Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment