Tuesday 11 December 2012

Things To Make & Do - Tin Can Lanterns

Hello, there I hope your all well and getting excited about the festivities ahead!

I apologise for the lack of blogging and blog reading (1000+ posts in my reader, eeek!) going on around here I hope to remedy it soon! I am currently having trouble with my computer (what is it about windows PCs that makes them gradually grind to a complete halt!) fingers crossed a shiny new laptop will be on the horizon, but until then I am having to resort to spare moments on lunch breaks at work to do any internet related stuff, which is not nearly enough time to do all that I want/need to!

Anyway, I promised this tutorial a long time ago and rather than let it sit in my draft folder any longer I thought it was about time to publish it!

Tin Can Lanterns

These are really the most versatile decoration ever as you can keep using them all year round! (...hung from trees at a BBQ, lining a garden pathway for an evening party, on the table for a romantic meal...) You could also spray them up to match your colour scheme. What better way to use something that you were just going to throw away recycle!

And the best bit is that these are SO easy to make!! You can use any design you like (... stars, Xmas trees...) just mark your can up first and get punching! I went for a simple pattern using the cans ridges to space out my holes, I didn't worry if it was accurate as I think it being a bit wonky adds to the charm! But if you feel you have made a terrible mistake with the pattern, it's no problem, just pop the can into the recycling and save the next can you open...really what could be less stressful!


Ingredients:              
                        Tin Cans
                        A Felt Pen
                        A Hammer
                        A Large Nail or A Small Cross Head Screw Driver (my weapon of choice)
                        A Towel.

Note: If you want to hang these up you must put two holes opposite each other at the top, BEFORE you defrost your can, as there is no refilling it with water once is all holey - I learnt the hard way so you don't have to;).


Wendy x

11 comments:

  1. I love it, such a good idea and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And how timely too! We're having an outdoor all-day Holiday food extravaganza with the whole family. This will definitely pretty up our evening table setting. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Sounds Great! I hope you have a wonderful time :) x

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea! I would never have thought of the freezer trick - shall definitely be giving these a go with the girls :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely! Shall have to give this a go! I would never have thought to put water in them though - I would have just bashed away with a hammer and a nail. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea to recycle tins into something useful! Love the pattern idea too! Glad to see new posts....and I can't wait to hear all about your Christmas preparations! Have a fabulous week my lovely!
    May xx
    walkinginmay.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/walkinginmay.blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. genius idea and like you said, great for Christmas and summer BBQS. Come back and post more soon, I miss you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: Wanted to let you know I finally did the blog post on the One Lovely Blog Award! :) Sorry it took so long my lovely and hope you have been well! The link is here if you want to take a look:
    http://walkinginmay.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/happy-blog-birthdayand-one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! I love your hammer btw very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing it, I'll probably try this in the future :)

    Best,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete